Sidmouth in Bloom announces award winners
- Credit: Archant
Green-fingered residents and businesses have proven they have the golden touch with a high standard of entries in Sidmouth in Bloom’s floral competition.
The group handed out nearly 50 gold awards across the 13 categories, as well as silver gilt and silver awards.
Lynette Talbot, chairman of the group, thanked participants for the high standard of entries.
She said: “We have had a lot of new entries this year and they were all extremely good.
“We were really delighted to see the care and attention to the smallest areas. The weather has been dry and hot but the hanging baskets were excellent this year as watering has been maintained.
You may also want to watch:
“Green lawns were also found and the courtyard gardens were amazing.
“We want to reward them for their care and attention they give to the plants but that it is also fun.”
- 1 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 2 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 3 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 4 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 5 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Ottery retirement community with Easter thank you for keyworkers
- 8 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 9 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 10 Claire leaves political spotlight
Lynette added her apologies to any entries that may have been missed due to the group’s busy competition schedule and added that anyone who still wished to be judged should get in touch.
Sidmouth in Bloom’s annual awards will take place on Thursday, October 25, at Sidmouth Methodist Church, where the cup winners will be announced.
Current prize holders are asked to return their cups to Sidmouth Town Council or to 26 Coulsdon Road, EX10 9JP, as soon as possible for engraving.
The 2018 winners
1. Large Gardens: P Atkinson, (Gold); G Gill (Silver Gilt); A Jones (Silver Gilt); F Leach (Gold).
2. Medium Gardens: H Crackston (Gold); B&R Causton-Evans (Gold); I McKenzie-Edwards (Silver Gilt); Lever (Silver Gilt); Ovens (Gold).
3. Small Gardens: R & L Badcock (Gold); S James (Silver); J Mortimore (Gold); K J Simm (Gold); TT Riding (Gold).
4. Courtyard Gardens: G Woodhams (Gold); G Blyth (Gold); P-M Boast (Gold); L & Alan Tabern (Gold).
5. Garden by a Disabled Person: Peter Cuthbe (Gold); J James (Gold).
6. Hanging Baskets/pots: S James (Silver Gilt); M & S Jenkins (Gold); A Jones (Gold); Ian McKenzie-Edwards (Silver Gilt).
7. Neighbourhood Effort: Temple Gardens (Gold); 89 Lymbourne Park (Silver); Ridgeway Residential Home (Gold).
8. Shops: The Steps Dress Agency (Gold); Hayman’s Butchers (Silver Gilt); Fields (G); 1922 Social Club (G); Michelmores (G).
9. Retirement/Nursing Homes: Fourways Residential Home (Gold); Malden House (Silver Gilt); Radway Lodge (Gold); Ridgeway Residential Home (Gold).
10. Café/Pub/Restaurant: The Anchor Inn (Gold); The Bowd Inn (Gold); The Swan Inn (Silver Gilt).
11. Churches: Methodist Church, (Gold); St Giles’ Church, Sidbury (Gold); St Peter’s Church Sidford (Gold).
12. Apartments with professional gardener’s help: G Woodhams, Regis Court (Silver Gilt).
13. Hotels/Guest Accommodation: The Belmont Hotel (Gold); Berwick House (Gold); Canterbury House (Gold); Cheriton Guest House (Gold); Dukes (Gold); The Elizabeth Hotel (Gold); Farmhouse Cottage (Gold); Glendevon B&B (Gold); Holmleigh Guest House (Gold); Hunter’s Moon (Gold); Kingswood & Devoran (Silver Gilt); Lynstead House (Gold); Mt Pleasant Hotel (Silver Gilt); The Riviera (Gold); Royal Glen (Silver Gilt); Royal York & Faulkner (Gold); Southcombe Villa Guest House (Gold); The Old Farmhouse (Gold); Willow Bridge (Gold); The Victoria (Gold).