Sidmouth In Bloom decorates war memorial for VE Day
- Credit: Archant
A VE Day display of red, white and blue flowers has been set up at Sidmouth’s war memorial by the town’s In Bloom group.
Coloured pansies surrounded by ivy have been planted in troughs and arranged around the base of the monument.
The chairman of Sidmouth In Bloom, Lynette Talbot, said: “In conjunction with Sidmouth Town Council, Sidmouth in Bloom has arranged for the war memorial to be planted up with troughs to commemorate VE Day on 8th May.
“Posters have been displayed to provide a reminder of what VE Day stands for and give a precis of King George VI’s speech to the nation on that day.
“It has been announced that the Queen will speak to the nation on Friday, May 8, this year at 9pm, the exact time her father gave a radio address to the nation in 1945 to announce the end of the war in Europe.”
You may also want to watch:
A virtual service will be held at the memorial at 10.50am on VE Day, which people can watch via the Sid Valley C of E churches’ website, www.sidvalley.org.uk
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 5 The more we work together the better it will be
- 6 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 7 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 8 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
- 9 Property of the Week: Ridgeway in Ottery St Mary
- 10 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of