Sidmouth Indian takeaway refusal
PERMISSION to turn a former newsagents into an Indian takeaway in Temple Street, Sidmouth, has been refused by East Devon District Council.
PERMISSION to turn a former newsagents' into an Indian takeaway in Temple Street, Sidmouth, has been refused by East Devon District Council.
Shairem Haider's application to open the takeaway at the former Temple Street News, met with opposition by Sidmouth Town Council in July, when its planning chairman faced making a chairman's decision when less than a third of the committee attended its meeting.
Twelve letters of objection were received by the council citing traffic and parking problems, emission of smells, restricted access, night-time noise, pedestrian congestion on a narrow path, loss of amenities and loss of property values.
One objector, resident David Ambrose, wrote to EDDC saying a local estate agent had advised him the prices of homes near the takeaway would drop in value.
You may also want to watch:
This week EDDC confirmed a decision had been taken under delegated powers given to the head of planning with the development management committee chairman and vice-chairman, to refuse the takeaway.
Mr Ambrose said: "I am glad it has been refused. I don't mind on what grounds, as long as it is refused."
- 1 Church hosts first wedding since before lockdown
- 2 August celebrations at Manstone Lane – Home of the Vikings
- 3 Urgent action sought to improve Four Elms Hill road safety
- 4 Be on your guard against toxic hogweed
- 5 Return to online meetings thanks to progressive alliance
- 6 Property of the Week: Wolversleigh Farm
- 7 Lifeguards report for duty as new service launches
- 8 Lacemaking mum's labour of love for daughter's wedding
- 9 Plea for collectors to support town's air show
- 10 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
He had contacted the council to ask why letters had not been sent to objectors informing them of the decision.
A district council spokeswoman said the council only entered into correspondence in cases of applications going to appeal.