Sidmouth Indian takeaway refusal
PERMISSION to turn a former newsagents into an Indian takeaway in Temple Street, Sidmouth, has been refused by East Devon District Council.
PERMISSION to turn a former newsagents' into an Indian takeaway in Temple Street, Sidmouth, has been refused by East Devon District Council.
Shairem Haider's application to open the takeaway at the former Temple Street News, met with opposition by Sidmouth Town Council in July, when its planning chairman faced making a chairman's decision when less than a third of the committee attended its meeting.
Twelve letters of objection were received by the council citing traffic and parking problems, emission of smells, restricted access, night-time noise, pedestrian congestion on a narrow path, loss of amenities and loss of property values.
One objector, resident David Ambrose, wrote to EDDC saying a local estate agent had advised him the prices of homes near the takeaway would drop in value.
This week EDDC confirmed a decision had been taken under delegated powers given to the head of planning with the development management committee chairman and vice-chairman, to refuse the takeaway.
Mr Ambrose said: "I am glad it has been refused. I don't mind on what grounds, as long as it is refused."
- 1 Plans for new town - and THOUSANDS of new homes - in East Devon revealed
- 2 Three injured in Sidmouth road accident
- 3 Chiefs' rebranding dignifies the club and city
- 4 Property of the Week: Trinity Court, Sidmouth
- 5 The show must go on as theatre group takes to the stage
- 6 Two-years-missing cat back home after turning up in Sidmouth
- 7 Anniversary gives chance for a look back on three years in the valley
- 8 Ottery family lights up home in memory of mum
- 9 East Devon football results
- 10 Sidmouth cancer support group celebrates 20 years of 'giving friendship'
He had contacted the council to ask why letters had not been sent to objectors informing them of the decision.
A district council spokeswoman said the council only entered into correspondence in cases of applications going to appeal.