Sidmouth jubilee orchard hope
AN environmentally friendly Sidmouth group hope residents can help them boost the Byes to celebrate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
Friends of the Byes members are pushing ahead with creating a community orchard by planting 60 trees.
Volunteer days have been organised throughout January.
The group made a start last Saturday, preparing a small area just off Sid Meadow ready for a collection of fruit trees - including local apple varieties.
Jean Twibell, a projects organiser, said “This is a great way to burn off the Christmas indulgences.”
You may also want to watch:
Anyone who wants to join in can meet at Sid Meadow every Wednesday and Saturday at 1.30pm for a two hour planting session.
The events will take place on January 11, 14, 18, 21, 25th and 28.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
- 4 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 7 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 8 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 9 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 10 Set aside a wild patch in your garden - better to watch than the television!
Friends of the Byes, Sidmouth Chamber of Commerce and the Sidmouth Civic Arboretum group want the community orchard to help celebrate Queen Elizabeth’s 60 years on the throne.
Individuals and business have been invited to ‘sponsor’ a tree as a gift or in memory of a loved one for �50.
The cash will allow Friends of the Byes to purchase, plant and care for the tree in the future.
Sidmouth schools have been invited to participate in the planting, maintenance and cropping of the trees.
“Local participation is key to the project success, both physically volunteering and financial donations.” said Friends of the Byes chairman Michael Horsnell.
To join the group, help with upcoming events, or for more information, contact Sally on (01395) 577383 or e-mail FOTByes@gmail.com.