Sidmouth life-saving club needs funding boost
- Credit: Archant
A budding group of youngsters are eager to put their heroic new skills to the test at Sidmouth seafront - but they need a funding boost.
The newly-formed Sidmouth Surf Life Saving Club is at capacity with more than 30 eight to 16-year-olds on-board. However, they have been left searching for financial backing to buy more equipment.
Led by surf guru Dave Manly, the group had ideal conditions for their inaugural training session on June 8 when the youngsters started building experience, confidence and skills in the water.
Dave said: “The idea behind the club was to provide children and young people with a new and exciting sporting activity using the natural beach and ocean environment we have in Sidmouth.
“With my experience of the popularity of surf life saving clubs in Australia and on the north coast of Devon and Cornwall, I knew the health and fitness benefits of the sport would prove popular.”
You may also want to watch:
He is working with Sidmouth Lifeboat crew member and keen paddleboarder Guy Russell.
“I would specifically like to thank the Port Royal Association for hosting the club at the Sidmouth Sailing and Angling Club,” Dave added.
- 1 New £14m Sidmouth Beach Management Plan takes major step forward
- 2 Immigration suspect arrested after fire in empty Sidmouth shop
- 3 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 4 Flood project construction vehicles end up in deep water
- 5 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 6 ‘Can we fix it? Yes we can!’ Sidmouth Repair Cafe seeks new team members
- 7 Book your tickets for wine tasting in Sidmouth
- 8 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 9 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 10 Sidmouth undone by powerful St Austell performance
“To help meet the increasing demand for club places we need more volunteers to sign up and financial support to provide equipment needed to run our sessions.”
To volunteer or to sponsor the growing new group, email Louise Turley on email@example.com.