Sidmouth Lifeboat’s record FolkWeek haul
SIDMOUTH Lifeboat raked in record donations of more than �1,5000 during FolkWeek.
Members of the life-saving service have expressed their gratitude to performers, visitors and residents for the support shown to them during the town’s landmark summer event.
FolkWeek’s Middle Bar Singers, led by Mike Gibson, stuck with tradition by singing a medley of sea shanties and other nautical songs at the Anchor Inn, and this year excelled themselves by organising a second group to visit other pubs. Their efforts raked in a whopping �1,000.
“Collection buckets were filled to overflowing with donations,” said lifeboat trustee Richard Thurlow, “At the Anchor, Mike auctioned off a number of lifeboat related items for nearly �300. His powers of persuasion are legendary!
“Ray Torrens’ group and Will Chiplin’s group also raised more than �500.
You may also want to watch:
“This year record sums were raised at these events, which, together with direct donations from the public have given a considerable boost to the funds needed to operate and maintain the service. Sidmouth Lifeboat is extremely grateful for all the support it gets,” said Richard.
- 1 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 2 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 3 Sidmouth charity shop needs your donations!
- 4 New interiors showroom offers inspiration for your home
- 5 Property of the Week: Green Gables
- 6 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 7 Important not to let celebrations get out of hand
- 8 Sidmouth poised for a title push
- 9 Batty fun activities for all at donkey sanctuary
- 10 Motorcyclist 'seriously injured' in crash near Ottery St Mary