Sidmouth Lifeboat’s record FolkWeek haul
SIDMOUTH Lifeboat raked in record donations of more than �1,5000 during FolkWeek.
Members of the life-saving service have expressed their gratitude to performers, visitors and residents for the support shown to them during the town’s landmark summer event.
FolkWeek’s Middle Bar Singers, led by Mike Gibson, stuck with tradition by singing a medley of sea shanties and other nautical songs at the Anchor Inn, and this year excelled themselves by organising a second group to visit other pubs. Their efforts raked in a whopping �1,000.
“Collection buckets were filled to overflowing with donations,” said lifeboat trustee Richard Thurlow, “At the Anchor, Mike auctioned off a number of lifeboat related items for nearly �300. His powers of persuasion are legendary!
“Ray Torrens’ group and Will Chiplin’s group also raised more than �500.
You may also want to watch:
“This year record sums were raised at these events, which, together with direct donations from the public have given a considerable boost to the funds needed to operate and maintain the service. Sidmouth Lifeboat is extremely grateful for all the support it gets,” said Richard.
- 1 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 2 Immigration suspect arrested after fire in empty Sidmouth shop
- 3 New £14m Sidmouth Beach Management Plan takes major step forward
- 4 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 5 Former Sidmouth student campaigns to save Afghan friends from Taliban regime
- 6 Vision Group awards recognise 'champions' who helped Sidmouth pull through lockdown
- 7 ‘Can we fix it? Yes we can!’ Sidmouth Repair Cafe seeks new team members
- 8 ‘Act now’ to get flood-prone school relocated, councillor urges Government
- 9 Book your tickets for wine tasting in Sidmouth
- 10 Sidmouth Brass Academy set to play again