Sidmouth Lion recognised for 25 years’ service
Dinner/dance marks 34th anniversary of formation of Sidmouth Lions Club
THE President of Sidmouth Lions has been presented with a special award to mark the club’s 34th anniversary since its formation.
Lion Ian Skinner (pictured left) received the Melvin Jones Fellowship plaque, an award from the Lions Clubs International Foundation, at Saturday’s charter anniversary dinner and dance at the Westcliff Hotel, Sidmouth.
It was handed over by special guest, the South West of England District Governor, Lion Neil Rutter, who attended with his wife Val, and recognises Ian’s dedicated humanitarian service during his 25 years as a Lion.
Other special guests were local chaplain, the Reverend Robin Laird, and his wife Carol.
Some 35 local Lions and their partners attended the anniversary event and heard Ian describe some of the many fundraising and charitable donations and activities undertaken by Sidmouth Lions during the past six months.
Lion Neil complimented Sidmouth Lions on their achievements before presenting the MJF plaque.
- 1 It's all power to the pedestrian... and we must embrace change
- 2 Ottery woman's home 'cuckooed' by County Lines drug gang
- 3 How Devon's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 4 What are the chances of a white Christmas in Devon?
- 5 Students carry on Christmas tradition by taking tree through town
- 6 Sidmouth to get state of the art hearing treatment
- 7 Welcome boost for road safety and a milestone for club
- 8 Seven rescue animals in Devon needing new forever homes
- 9 Christmas Light Switch-Ons in East Devon's towns
- 10 Sidmouth Bowls Club vote in a new President
Melvin Jones was the founder of Lions Clubs International.
Lion Ian’s wife Ann, presented a cheque for �250 to the district governor’s wife Val for her chosen charity for the year – Devon, Cornwall and Somerset Air Ambulance Services.
After an enjoyable dinner, speeches and presentations, Lions and their partners and guests danced to live music by HeeShee, a duo from Honiton.
Sidmouth Lions Ladies, known as The Flappers, have also been actively fundraising for charity and last Friday morning raised �430 at a Festive Fayre held at St John Hall, Blackmore Drive.
*If you are interested in joining or finding out more about Sidmouth Lions Club, contact Ian on (01395) 512923 or Chris on (01395) 577450.