Sidmouth lollipop man scoops award
A LOLLIPOP man from a Sidmouth school is to be presented with a Long Service Award. William Valentine, a well-known face at All Saints Infant School, will receive a silver award for ten years of dedication and service. A Devon County Council school crossi
A LOLLIPOP man from a Sidmouth school is to be presented with a Long Service Award.
William Valentine, a well-known face at All Saints Infant School, will receive a silver award for ten years of dedication and service.
A Devon County Council school crossing awards ceremony took place in Exeter on Wednesday but Mr Valentine was unable to attend.
A spokesperson for DCC confirmed Mr Valentine will receive his distinction at a later date.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Stuart Hughes, Devon County Council Cabinet Member for Highways and Transportation, said: "Our lollipop men and women provide a safe crossing place for schoolchildren right across the county. It's a vital role and they fulfil their duties admirably, often in all sorts of weather conditions. Well done to all of those receiving an award."
Over the years Mr Valentine, also a keen runner, has helped with a number of events and activities at the school.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 3 Property of the Week: Fortfield Terrace, Sidmouth
- 4 Vision Group awards recognise 'champions' who helped Sidmouth pull through lockdown
- 5 Photo competition will capture the town's important moments
- 6 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 7 New plan to build East Devon back better after the pandemic
- 8 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 9 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 10 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
In 2006 he lived up to his name and made a heart-shaped cake for 90 children who attended a Valentine disco at the school.
Apart from regularly making cakes for the disco, he has also helped out with road awareness days by giving a talk to the children in conjunction with the police.