Sidmouth looks forward to traditional Boxing Day swim.
BRAVE swimmers who fancy shedding some of Christmas day s excesses are invited to take part in Sidmouth s annual Boxing Day Swim.
BRAVE swimmers who fancy shedding some of Christmas day's excesses are invited to take part in Sidmouth's annual Boxing Day Swim.
The tradition, which saw more than 160 swimmers clad in fancy dress tackle the sea last year, has been running since 1985 and draws in strong crowds of spectators.
Organiser Keith Knight said: "Come rain or shine it seems nothing will deter those hardy souls from taking part."
"We are hoping for a sunny day, but know, that few will be put off by bad weather."
You may also want to watch:
All entrants are asked to sign a disclaimer absolving the regatta committee of responsibility should they decide conditions are not suitable. Organisers have asked for the co-operation of Sidmouth Lifeboat to provide 'on the water' cover for the duration of the swim.
Swimmers are asked to gather in front of Sidmouth Sailing and Sea Angling Club from 10.30am to sign in and show off their fancy dress.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 6 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 7 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 8 The more we work together the better it will be
- 9 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
- 10 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites
The Sidmouth branch of the RNLI will be on hand to accept donations and tea and coffee will be available from the Sailing and Angling Club.
Organisers remind participants the event is 'weather permitting' and their say is final.