Sidmouth’s M&Co shop escapes UK-wide closure programme
- Credit: Google
Sidmouth’s M&Co value fashion shop is to remain open, despite a company-wide closure and redundancy programme.
The chain went into administration in April as the coronavirus lockdown hit the retail trade.
As a result, 47 stores are to close UK-wide, with the loss of hundreds of jobs.
But the Sidmouth branch, which has been in the town for more than 10 years, has been spared.
M&Co’s chief executive Andy McGeoch said he was pleased to be able to keep some of the company’s town centre shops open.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “Local economies rely to a huge degree on their town centres and we have seen too many High Streets hollowed out by successive shop closures.
“More and more people are beginning to realise that, if they don’t support their town centres, everyone’s quality of living really takes a hit, so we are proud to be playing a part in the drive to shop locally.”
- 1 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 4 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 5 Football in support of mental health
- 6 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 7 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 8 Ottery St Mary Silver Band 'Centenary+1' fundraiser launched
- 9 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 10 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start