Sidmouth’s M&Co shop escapes UK-wide closure programme
- Credit: Google
Sidmouth’s M&Co value fashion shop is to remain open, despite a company-wide closure and redundancy programme.
The chain went into administration in April as the coronavirus lockdown hit the retail trade.
As a result, 47 stores are to close UK-wide, with the loss of hundreds of jobs.
But the Sidmouth branch, which has been in the town for more than 10 years, has been spared.
M&Co’s chief executive Andy McGeoch said he was pleased to be able to keep some of the company’s town centre shops open.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “Local economies rely to a huge degree on their town centres and we have seen too many High Streets hollowed out by successive shop closures.
“More and more people are beginning to realise that, if they don’t support their town centres, everyone’s quality of living really takes a hit, so we are proud to be playing a part in the drive to shop locally.”
- 1 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 2 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 4 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 5 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 6 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 7 Young Vikings enjoy victory on the main pitch
- 8 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 9 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 10 Dreams and nightmares at the Grand National