Sidmouth Majorettes’ major grant
- Credit: Archant
The newly established Sidmouth Majorettes will soon have batons for twirling and pom-poms for waving after netting a £4,000 grant.
The ‘Shooting Stars’ troupe of 38 girls – and one boy – came together for the first time at the youth centre last week, writes Stephen Sumner.
The Sid Vale Association’s Keith Owen Fund has awarded the group £4,000 for all the equipment they need – but they are still searching for sponsors for their uniforms.
Organiser Deborah Moore said: “We are all excited to get started – Alison [Welmerling, a former Miss Majorette of California] has already started choreographing a routine and the parents have been very supportive.”
Deborah set up the majorettes to fulfil her daughter Bethany’s wish, and soon found many other mums, dads and youngsters keen to get involved.
She has enlisted Alison and ex-majorette Rouselle Payne as choreographers, and has so far had £800 pledged from Otters Childcare and block paving specialist Gareth Guck.
There are still spaces in the troupe, and anyone interested in joining, helping out or sponsoring can call Deborah on 07971 373781. The group’s first practice session will be at the St Francis church hall on Thursday, January 9.
- 1 Air ambulance attends beach fall incident in Sidmouth
- 2 It's all power to the pedestrian... and we must embrace change
- 3 Property of the Week: The Square, Branscombe
- 4 Ottery woman's home 'cuckooed' by County Lines drug gang
- 5 What are the chances of a white Christmas in Devon?
- 6 Major firefighting operation tackles blazing barn in Whimple
- 7 How Devon's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 8 Top six big books of the year to enjoy this winter
- 9 Tips on managing your utility bills this winter
- 10 Programme of concerts set to delight classical-music lovers