Sidmouth man Dave - crushed by three tonne truck - thanks rescuers from hospital bed

David Green suffered a number of injuries after being trapped under a truck. His brother Danny said

David Green suffered a number of injuries after being trapped under a truck. His brother Danny said his brother is 'lucky to be alived'. - Credit: Archant

A Sidmouth man - lucky to be alive after he was crushed under a three-tonne dumper truck - has thanked well-wishers and emergency services from his hospital bed.

Dave Green, 25, of Station Road, became trapped under the vehicle when it tipped over and landed on him last Thursday - sparking a frantic effort by firefighters, police and paramedics to save his life.

Dave’s brother, Danny, had been driving the truck and this week spoke of the incident, saying: “It’s probably the worst thing I have ever witnessed.”

Fire crews battled to free Dave from under the truck and he was flown by air ambulance to Derriford Hospital, Plymouth.

The family was told by doctors that Dave, a plumber, was in a ‘critical and life-threatening’ condition after he suffered a crushed pelvis, 10 broken ribs, a fractured shoulder and broken coccyx. He lost one-and-a-half fingers and suffered damage to his bladder.

You may also want to watch:

Bricklayer Danny, 24, said he had been driving the truck, near Coxes Farm, Branscombe, as the brothers had been working together. He had pulled over for a car to pass. As their vehicle pulled away, it skidded on gravel and clipped a bank.

“We tried to straighten the dumper back up, but it went into the bank on the other side of the road and threw me off through the air,” said Danny. “Dave managed to jump off but, as he jumped, the dumper went up the bank and came down and landed on him. It all happened so fast.

Most Read

“It’s probably the worst thing I have ever witnessed. The emergency services were very quick, but it felt like forever - he was in so much pain. The nurses said they did not know how he made it.”

Dave has now been moved out of intensive care and is awaiting a pelvis operation before he can be transferred back to Exeter.

Danny, also of Station Road, said it was a relief for dad, David, when Dave woke up and asked him if he could ‘have a beer’.

Dave has been inundated with messages from friends and family wishing him a speedy recovery.

The family have extended their thanks to the emergency services for their ‘brilliant’ reactions.

Danny said: “They were absolutely incredible - they got to us so quickly. He [Dave] just wants to thank all the emergency services. We are thankful he is here.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus