Sidmouth man jailed after “violent attack” outside Exmouth pub
PUBLISHED: 11:36 02 February 2018 | UPDATED: 11:58 02 February 2018
A Sidmouth man has been jailed for a year for his involvement in a “violent attack” on a wedding guest outside an Exmouth pub.
Darren Travers, of Manor Court, Sidmouth, was found guilty of affray by a jury following a four-day trial.
Exeter Crown Court heard how CCTV had shown the 26-year-old punching and kicking a man, dressed in vintage clothing, leaving him in a pool of blood outside the Grapevine pub on August 8, 2015.
Nathan Fowler, of Ryll Grove, Exmouth, also admitted the same charge after punching a pub customer to the ground.
The court heard how a group of three drunken men, aged 21 to 25, were seen exchanging words with customers outside the pub at closing time, before walking on and running back to start the fracas. Those involved in the incident included 21-year-old Ayden Barrier, of Bradley Lane, Newton Abbot, who denied affray but was found guilty of the lesser charge of threatening behaviour.
Recorder Mr Llewellyn Sellick was told how the wife of one of the victims was taunted by the group while she tended to her husband on the ground and tried to stop the attackers from escaping. The court heard the couple had returned from a vintage-themed wedding.
Recorder Sellick said it was “violent attack” which left both of the victims unconscious and one of the men with a fractured tibula.
He added: “The prosecution were unable to say who did what precisely to whom but it is quite clear from the CCTV and the evidence of the witnesses that this was a frightening and very violent incident, albeit one which lasted only a few minutes.”
Representing Travers, Mr William Parkhill said Travers had been diagnosed with schizophrenia since the incident and has turned his life around, stopping drinking and moving away from bad influences in Exmouth.
Defending Fowler, Mr Warren Robinson said Fowler admitted his involvement from the outset and had stayed out of trouble while working for an events company. The 20-year-old was jailed for eight months, suspended for two years, and ordered to complete 80 hours of unpaid work.
Mr Piers Norsworthy, defending Barrier, said his client was working as a chef, was about to become a father and had given up the lifestyle which led to his involvement in this incident. He was ordered to do 80 hours community work.
Matthew Pugsley, aged 21, of Rosebery Road, Exmouth, was cleared of affray and threatening behaviour and discharged. Neither Travers, Barrier or Pugsley gave evidence at their trial.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sidmouth Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.