Sidmouth man who threatened nightclub doorman handed suspended prison sentence

Exeter magistrates court. Ref exe 01-17TI 4933. Picture: Terry Ife

Exeter magistrates court. Ref exe 01-17TI 4933. Picture: Terry Ife - Credit: Archant

Alexander Fooks, 34, had been banned from all pubs and clubs in town, court hears

A Sidmouth man has admitted threatening door staff outside a town nightclub.

Alexander Fooks, 34, of Redwood Road, was given a suspended 26-week prison sentence and ordered to pay £250 when he appeared before magistrates sitting in Exeter on Monday.

Fooks pleaded guilty to charges of using threatening and abusive behaviour towards Carinas doorman Daniel Weaver, with intent to cause fear of violence, possession of a knife blade and failure to surrender to court.

Magistrates heard how police were called to Carinas at 11.38pm on Saturday, October 29, 2016, where an ‘intoxicated’ Fooks was described as acting aggressively and brandishing a fishing rod.

You may also want to watch:

The prosecution said there is a ‘blanket ban’ on Fooks entering any pubs or clubs in the town and magistrates heard how, prior to his arrest, the defendant had shouted and sworn at members of the public outside The Anchor Inn after being refused entry. He then attempted to gain entry to Carinas, where he was escorted out by Mr Weaver.

The court heard Fooks waved his fishing rod in Mr Weaver’s face asking, ‘are you scared?’, and pulled a bottle of vodka from his pocket and was described as ‘drinking it like water’. Magistrates were told Fooks left the area, only to return with a brick and tell Mr Weaver: “I’m going to smash your head in and put you in hospital.”

Most Read

Fooks was detained on the ground by three door staff, who said - as his hooded top rode up - they saw a blue-handled knife with a four-inch blade tucked into his waistband, which they removed along with his backpack.

Jeremy Wickham, defending, said Fooks had been out fishing in Sidmouth during the day of October 29. He added it is commonplace to carry just a knife while out on the rocks – which is the reason it was on his person.

Fooks said he had no intention of hurting anyone with the brick and had meant to hand it in to door staff, but had been immediately detained on the floor.

Mr Wickham said: “Alcohol is his problem and has been for some considerable period of time. He is now living back with his mother and has no contact with his three children. He is beginning to get a lot more insight into where it all goes wrong.”

The court heard that Fooks had worked as a labourer and landscaper, but lost his job before Christmas.

He was urged by the magistrates to take the opportunity to seek treatment for his alcohol problems and was issued with a suspended sentence on the condition he does not re-offend in the next two years.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus