Sidmouth motorists ‘driving on pavement’ fury
SCORES of brazen motorists who’ve ignored a controversial Sidmouth road closure- by driving on the pavement- have been told to expect a visit from police.
SCORES of brazen motorists who’ve ignored a controversial Sidmouth road closure - by driving on the pavement - have been told to expect a visit from police.
Officers have been shocked by the actions of around 20 drivers who’ve broken the law near Vicarage Road, expecting pedestrians to get out of their way in the process. “It’s absolutely mindless. Not only is it stupid, it is putting people at risk,” said Sergeant Andy Turner.
PS Turner said he was ‘puzzled’ how drivers could ignore four warning signs leading to the closure.
He said upset drivers remonstrated with workers before creating their own diversion- on the pavement.
You may also want to watch:
A list of around 20 offending drivers’ registration numbers has been handed to police by concerned onlookers.
“What’s worried me is several of the vehicles are registered to professional drivers- delivery and taxi drivers,” said PS Turner. “It’s not acceptable, a road closure is exactly that. We’ll be pursuing anybody we have evidence against. If anyone knows they’ve driven through there they should be warned they will get a visit.”
- 1 Public open gardens event cancelled due to Covid
- 2 Scores of nominations for town's champion awards
- 3 Centenary celebration for knitting legend, Audrey
- 4 Former vice chairman of Sidmouth Town Council turns to murder
- 5 East Devon MP humbled by care home visit
- 6 Can YOU help successful Sidmouth Running Club Juniors grow?
- 7 Euro 2020 sweepstake winnings donated to support cancer charity
- 8 Ottery's amazing community has pulled together during pandemic
- 9 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 10 Cricket ground will be transformed into festival car park