Sidmouth motorists ‘driving on pavement’ fury
SCORES of brazen motorists who’ve ignored a controversial Sidmouth road closure- by driving on the pavement- have been told to expect a visit from police.
SCORES of brazen motorists who’ve ignored a controversial Sidmouth road closure - by driving on the pavement - have been told to expect a visit from police.
Officers have been shocked by the actions of around 20 drivers who’ve broken the law near Vicarage Road, expecting pedestrians to get out of their way in the process. “It’s absolutely mindless. Not only is it stupid, it is putting people at risk,” said Sergeant Andy Turner.
PS Turner said he was ‘puzzled’ how drivers could ignore four warning signs leading to the closure.
He said upset drivers remonstrated with workers before creating their own diversion- on the pavement.
You may also want to watch:
A list of around 20 offending drivers’ registration numbers has been handed to police by concerned onlookers.
“What’s worried me is several of the vehicles are registered to professional drivers- delivery and taxi drivers,” said PS Turner. “It’s not acceptable, a road closure is exactly that. We’ll be pursuing anybody we have evidence against. If anyone knows they’ve driven through there they should be warned they will get a visit.”
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 4 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 5 Sporting tribute to club stalwart from grateful members
- 6 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 7 'More visible' speed limit signs to be installed on A375 Sidbury Hill
- 8 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 9 Elusive mackerel still popping up for Devon anglers
- 10 Alderman honour for councillor devoted to serving community