Sidmouth motorists ‘driving on pavement’ fury
SCORES of brazen motorists who’ve ignored a controversial Sidmouth road closure- by driving on the pavement- have been told to expect a visit from police.
SCORES of brazen motorists who’ve ignored a controversial Sidmouth road closure - by driving on the pavement - have been told to expect a visit from police.
Officers have been shocked by the actions of around 20 drivers who’ve broken the law near Vicarage Road, expecting pedestrians to get out of their way in the process. “It’s absolutely mindless. Not only is it stupid, it is putting people at risk,” said Sergeant Andy Turner.
PS Turner said he was ‘puzzled’ how drivers could ignore four warning signs leading to the closure.
He said upset drivers remonstrated with workers before creating their own diversion- on the pavement.
You may also want to watch:
A list of around 20 offending drivers’ registration numbers has been handed to police by concerned onlookers.
“What’s worried me is several of the vehicles are registered to professional drivers- delivery and taxi drivers,” said PS Turner. “It’s not acceptable, a road closure is exactly that. We’ll be pursuing anybody we have evidence against. If anyone knows they’ve driven through there they should be warned they will get a visit.”
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 3 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 4 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 5 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 6 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 7 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 8 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 9 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 10 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights