Sidmouth mum: ‘I lived in terror of standing on the scales’
- Credit: Archant
A Sidmouth mum-of-three has transformed her life after losing over six stone in a year.
Catherine Drew dropped from 16st 11lbs to 10st in 12 months.
She was also chosen as one of 18 finalists for Cornwall and Devon for Slimming World Woman of the Year 2014 - but narrowly missed out.
The 40-year-old said: “I don’t ever remember not having a problem with my weight. As a child I was told it was puppy fat and I would grow out of it.
“I wasn’t part of the ‘trendy’ gang. I didn’t wear a short enough skirt or skin tight tops. I was already embarrassed by how I looked. Food was my comfort. As was my music.”
You may also want to watch:
She felt uncomfortable when out with friends at university and took refuge in playing the piano. Her relationships also suffered but she found a man who loved her, whatever her size, in her husband, Jamie, and has three children, Jack, eight, Anna, six, and Polly, three.
It was only as she became pregnant with Polly that she realised the health problems her weight was causing.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 3 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 4 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 5 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 6 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 7 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 8 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 9 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 10 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
Catherine said: “I was mortified, in my third pregnancy, that I had to be referred to a consultant because of my high BMI.
“I was classed as high risk. I lived in terror of standing on the scales. My blood pressure was high and I was suffering with asthma. I was told I was at risk of haemorrhaging in labour.”
She saw the story of Paul Palmer, a Slimming World success story who dropped nearly 18 stone, and started attending meetings in Sidmouth in June 2013. Through Paul’s guidance, Catherine has reached a happy, healthy weight.
She said: “I’m finally happy and I don’t feel like a second class citizen. I no longer have to hide behind a piano.”