Sidmouth launches repair cafe
- Credit: Repair Cafe
Broken-down household appliances, wobbly furniture, tatty clothes and malfunctioning gadgets no longer have to be sent on a one-way trip to the tip.
A new Repair Café is opening in Sidmouth with a team of ‘fixers’, who have the skills and know-how to mend almost anything the public bring in.
The first one takes place at the Youth Centre in Manstone Lane tomorrow (Saturday), and from then they will be held on the last Saturday of every month.
The team behind it have been recruiting people with skills in sewing, darning, carpentry, electronics and mechanics, who can carry out the repairs and also pass on their know-how to visitors.
Angie Carney, the group’s lead, has been really pleased with the enthusiastic response so far. “It’s great to see the community getting behind it!” she added.
You may also want to watch:
Entry is free but donations are welcome, and refreshments will be available.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 4 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 5 Woman flown to hospital after fall
- 6 Elusive mackerel still popping up for Devon anglers
- 7 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 8 Major road repair scheme will reduce patching
- 9 Pianist set to delight audiences in 50th anniversary season
- 10 Sporting tribute to club stalwart from grateful members