Sidmouth pensioner wins bus stop battle
HE waited for seven months and now two have come along at once.
Sidmouth pensioner George Harris has won his fight for a decent bus shelter in a Sidmouth residential area.
George, 86, of Le Locle Close, wanted seated stops to benefit the elderly and young mums - and to protect residents from the elements.
County highways chief Stuart Hughes said this week he hoped the items would be installed in the near future.
Councillor Hughes said that two bus shelters, to be situated on either side of the road at the top of Stowford Rise, would be put in place soon.
You may also want to watch:
Sidmouth Town Council had to agree to the placement of the structures.
Members unanimously backed the proposal when they met on Monday.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 3 Property of the Week: Fortfield Terrace, Sidmouth
- 4 Photo competition will capture the town's important moments
- 5 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 6 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 7 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 8 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 9 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
- 10 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses