Sidmouth physio's bush fire scare
A SIDMOUTH woman had to overcome high altitute, baking heat and even bush fires last week as she trains for her bid to buy a new piece of equipment for Sidmouth Hospital .
A SIDMOUTH woman had to overcome high altitute, baking heat and even bush fires last week as she trains for her bid to buy a new piece of equipment for the town's hospital .
Sidmouth Hospital physiotherapist Anita Sweetman, of Peaslands Road, this week returned from visiting family South Africa. The break however did not affect her dedicated training regime for the 26.3 mile Dartmoor Vale Marathon in October.
Ms Sweetman said: "I managed to train in the Drakensburg mountains and clocked up nine mile runs at over 1500 feet. I also managed to run on my cousins farm in Johannesburg however on my last few days there was a massive bush fire and we had to evacuate the farm, several thousands of acres of farm land and animal were killed in surrounding farms. We evacuated with the fire on our tails I have never been so scared in my life."
Anita needs to raise nearly £4000 to provide the physiotherapy department at Sidmouth Hospital with a new exercise bike.
You may also want to watch:
She added: "It feels good to be back in wet old England and back to training on the rolling green hills closer to sea level. At least we will never have to worry about bush fires."
Sponsorship forms for Anita's challenge are available from Sidmouth Hospital reception and there is a collection box in the physiotherapy department. Call the department on (01395) 579917 for more information.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 The more we work together the better it will be
- 7 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 8 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
- 9 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 10 Property of the Week: Ridgeway in Ottery St Mary