Sidmouth plans royal wedding street party
Sidmouth Chamber of Commerce hopes to run street party to celebrate William and Kate marriage
SIDMOUTH may have its own Royal Wedding street party on Friday, April 29.
The town’s Chamber of Commerce executive committee met on Tuesday to discuss the possibility of setting up 100 tables down Old Fore Street, New Street and Church Street – with a road closure in place – and holding entertainment for all ages in Market Place.
With a red, white and blue theme, with party-goers being asked to join in the spirit of the occasion by dressing in these colours, the Chamber would ‘sell’ each table for six people for �20, the money raised going towards the town’s Christmas light display and Sidmouth Town Band.
Those attending would provide their own picnic food and drink.
You may also want to watch:
The last time the town centre saw such revelry was in 1977 for the Queen’s Silver Jubilee.
Each table would be decorated by those using it, but there would be plenty of bunting and Union flags put up by the Chamber, as well as flags on each table.
- 1 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 2 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 3 Safety, security and sustainability at Sidmouth Town
- 4 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 5 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 6 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 7 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
- 8 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 9 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 10 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
If traders hear there is sufficient interest in the idea, which would mean a maximum of 600 people being able to join in the fun, tickets would be put on sale from mid-March and the numbered tables would be allocated on a first come, first serve basis.