Sidmouth police hits out at grave robbers
A SIDMOUTH sergeant has hit out at grave robbers who are plaguing a cemetery. Three families have reported items, including a solar powered light, stolen from the cemetery on Temple Street. One of the graves that has been targeted is that of Jodie Giggs
A SIDMOUTH sergeant has hit out at grave robbers who are plaguing a cemetery.
Three families have reported items, including a solar powered light, stolen from the cemetery on Temple Street.
One of the graves that has been targeted is that of Jodie Giggs, a 19-year-old girl who was killed in a car crash.
Sergeant Andrew Turner, a friend of the family, said: "We are disgusted by the fact that her grave and memory has been damaged in this way.
You may also want to watch:
"We have had reports of a group of youngsters gathering in the cemetery in the late evenings engaging in anti-social behaviour."
"I want to remind people that the cemetery is not a place for people to gather and engage in such behaviour.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 3 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 4 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 5 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 6 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights
- 9 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 10 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
"The public and police officers are taking a very dim view of the actions by a small minority which have resulted in three families being extremely uneased by what has happened."
Anyone with information can contact Sidmouth Police Station on 08452 777444 or crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.