Sidmouth pupil shortlisted in Wicked writers award
Hugo the dog inspires Megan to write a Wicked tale for national competition
YOUNG Megan Cox knows how to write a wicked story.
The Sidmouth Primary School pupil, aged 10, is one of 100 to have their short stories shortlisted for the 2011 WICKED Young Writers’ Award.
Megan, one of 25 finalists in the eight to 10 age category, is pictured with her neighbour’s dog Hugo, who was the inspiration for the character of the Queen’s naughty horse in her story, The Jam-packed Adventure, who ran away, leaving the Queen stranded outside a supermarket, with no way of getting back to Buckingham Palace.
Megan’s story will be published, along with the others shortlisted, in an anthology sponsored by publisher Headline.
You may also want to watch:
The overall winner from each five age groups will receive family tickets to see the award-winning musical Wicked, plus a writing workshop for the individual winner at their school.
The Award has been working with the independent literacy charity, the National Literacy Trust, and in 2012 will broaden this partnership to include joint events at literary festivals and conferences to highlight reading and writing skills among young people.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 3 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 4 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 5 Month of the dead is a time to remember loved ones
- 6 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 7 Nature's own nocturnal acrobats gracing the skies in Devon
- 8 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
- 9 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 10 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park