Sidmouth purse-snatchers are back
THE plague of the purse-snatcher is back in Sidmouth. Police this week confirmed a rise in the number of snatches, the latest of which happened last Friday. The victim discovered her black leather purse, which contained credit cards and cash, had vanished
THE plague of the purse-snatcher is back in Sidmouth.
Police this week confirmed a rise in the number of snatches, the latest of which happened last Friday.
The victim discovered her black leather purse, which contained credit cards and cash, had vanished when she was in Edinburgh Woollen Mill, Fore Street and believes it was taken between 4pm and 4.10pm.
Police are urging members of the public to be vigilant and to take extra precautions against pickpockets and purse-snatchers.
You may also want to watch:
Sergeant Andy Turner said: "We have been quite lucky over the past three months with very few of these crimes taking place but it seems as though the purse-snatchers are back on our patch."
He warned people to keep their bags in sight at all times and if they find their purse is missing to ring police and cancel their cards straightaway.
- 1 Fire service warns against stockpiling petrol at home
- 2 Town's garden efforts on display at Chelsea Flower Show
- 3 East Devon reports rise in Covid cases
- 4 Can you hear me? Science festival will attempt a new tin can phone world record
- 5 Judges announced for town champions awards
- 6 Town's Morris dancers are looking for volunteers to step up
- 7 7 of the prettiest streets in Sidmouth
- 8 Property of the Week: Ocean Quest, Exmouth
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Devon
- 10 What a difference a ‘K’ makes
Sergeant Turner added: "If you know who the offender is or witnessed the snatch, contact police first, but if you don't know who the offender is I would recommend ringing the bank card company to cancel your cards before ringing us."
Anyone with information about the snatch on Friday should ring police on 08452 777444 quoting crime reference number KS/09/571.