Sidmouth quilt set to raise thousands for charity
Sidmouth Patchers and Quilters to hold two-day exhibition in July
A VIBRANT, handmade quilt, made in the style of Clarice Cliff pottery by Sidmouth quilter Kathleen Hughes, is being used to raise money for Children’s Hospice South West.
So far more than �1,000-worth of prize tickets have been sold for the quilt and the winning ticket will be drawn on the last day of a two-day exhibition being held at Kennaway House, Sidmouth, by Sidmouth Patchers and Quilters, in aid of CHSW.
It will be opened by internationally renowned Colaton Raleigh artist Alan Cotton, a keen supporter of CHSW, on Tuesday, July 5, at 10am.
On Wednesday, July 6 at 3.15pm, the ticket for the quilt will be drawn.
You may also want to watch:
Kathleen was commissioned to make the quilt by a former student, who had intended to give it to friends as a 40th wedding anniversary gift.
However, the woman was so pleased with it she decided to keep it herself, giving the friends a case of champagne instead.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 5 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 8 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 9 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
Since then the woman has died and her husband donated the quilt to Sidmouth Patchers and Quilters, requesting it be raffled in aid of CHSW.
As well as an exhibition of quilts and other patchwork items made by members, there will be a display of work in progress, handmade patchwork items for sale and prize draws during the two days, from 10am to 4pm.
Admission is �2 and homemade refreshments will be available each day, including tea, coffee, sandwiches and cakes.