Sidmouth remembers colourful Morris man Geoff
Sidmouth festival supporter for 37 years dies following road traffic accident
A COLOURFUL character, who has supported Sidmouth Folk festival for 37 years, has died after being involved in a road traffic accident.
Norman Geoffrey Hebditch, 64, died on Friday, November 11, from injuries he sustained in a road accident in Hampshire.
He had been riding his tricycle the previous Sunday when he was involved in a collision with a motorcycle, said his partner of 15 years, Mary Reed.
Although he lived in Catisfield near Fareham, Hants, Geoff visited Sidmouth several times a year with Mary and was well known in the town, both to supporters of FolkWeek, and to shopkeepers and hoteliers.
You may also want to watch:
“In the ‘60s he used to be a Morris dancer and fool with King John’s Morris, Winchester,” said Mary. “He spent a lot of time talking to people in Sidmouth as well as musicians, dancers and singers.”
Sidmouth Herald’s photographer, Alex Walton, captured Geoff in his colourful outfit at this year’s FolkWeek.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Property of the Week: Fortfield Terrace, Sidmouth
- 3 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 4 Photo competition will capture the town's important moments
- 5 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 6 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 7 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 8 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 9 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 10 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
Mary said: “Apart from Morris, Geoff did lots of other things. He enjoyed motor racing, railway modelling, was a civil engineer and was cycling officer in Portsmouth until he retired through ill health.
“He enjoyed talking to people and managed to get the best out of them.”
His funeral is at 11.30am on Thursday, November 24 at St Peter’s Church, Titchfield, Hants and after at The Bugle, Titchfield Square. Donations for RNLI or British Heart Foundation to Freemantles, 46 South St, Titchfield, Fareham, Hants. PO14 4DY.