Sidmouth residetns urged to ditch cars for a day
SIDMOUTH residents will be urged to ditch their cars for a day next month. Car Free Day on Tuesday, September 22, is part of Devon County Council s (DCC) TravelWise campaign which attracted record support last year. DCC wants employers and schools acr
SIDMOUTH residents will be urged to ditch their cars for a day next month.
Car Free Day on Tuesday, September 22, is part of Devon County Council's (DCC) TravelWise campaign which attracted record support last year.
DCC wants employers and schools across the town to encourage environmentally sustainable way of travelling rather than making journeys by car.
Sidmouth councillor Stuart Hughes, who is also DCC cabinet member for Highways and Transportation, said: "It's is a fun way of encouraging people to think about how they travel. It may just be for one day, but there is also a serious message in getting everyone to think longer term about positive changes we can all make.
You may also want to watch:
"Finding an alternative to the car can reduce congestion, improve health and the environment, and it's an easy way of saving money. Walking, cycling or using public transport can help everyone reduce our carbon footprint, and I'm planning to take the bus from Sidmouth to Exeter and back.
- 1 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 2 Sidmouth Toy & Model Museum is a hit with Toto
- 3 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 4 Beachgoers share moment of wonder
- 5 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 6 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 7 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 8 Cricket ground will be transformed into festival car park
- 9 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 10 Property of Week: North Street, Ottery St Mary