Sidmouth residetns urged to ditch cars for a day
SIDMOUTH residents will be urged to ditch their cars for a day next month. Car Free Day on Tuesday, September 22, is part of Devon County Council s (DCC) TravelWise campaign which attracted record support last year. DCC wants employers and schools acr
SIDMOUTH residents will be urged to ditch their cars for a day next month.
Car Free Day on Tuesday, September 22, is part of Devon County Council's (DCC) TravelWise campaign which attracted record support last year.
DCC wants employers and schools across the town to encourage environmentally sustainable way of travelling rather than making journeys by car.
Sidmouth councillor Stuart Hughes, who is also DCC cabinet member for Highways and Transportation, said: "It's is a fun way of encouraging people to think about how they travel. It may just be for one day, but there is also a serious message in getting everyone to think longer term about positive changes we can all make.
You may also want to watch:
"Finding an alternative to the car can reduce congestion, improve health and the environment, and it's an easy way of saving money. Walking, cycling or using public transport can help everyone reduce our carbon footprint, and I'm planning to take the bus from Sidmouth to Exeter and back.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 3 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 4 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 5 Photo competition will capture the town's important moments
- 6 Month of the dead is a time to remember loved ones
- 7 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 8 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 9 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
- 10 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses