Sidmouth Rotary fundraisng concert
A MIDSUMMER Melodies concert, in aid of the Rotary Club of Sidmouth s Polio Eradication project, will be held next week. The concert will feature several musicians including violinist Paul Roberts, who contracted polio as a youngster. Paul was born in S
A 'MIDSUMMER Melodies' concert, in aid of the Rotary Club of Sidmouth's Polio Eradication project, will be held next week.
The concert will feature several musicians including violinist Paul Roberts, who contracted polio as a youngster.
Paul was born in Sierra Leone and was only one when he was struck down with the illness.
He moved to England with his adopted missionary family when he was eight and that is when his love affair started with the violin.
A Rotary Club of Sidmouth spokesman said: "It was felt that, here in Sidmouth, we had an unusual opportunity to stage a musical event built around Paul Roberts.
"Having been struck down with this life-changing illness at such an early age, Paul is a living testament to courage, determination and the will to develop a latent talent despite his severe handicap."
- 1 Despite the recent heatwave, Devon County Council is on course to beat climate change targets
- 2 Opening a new shop presents a risk, but rewards are there if you work hard
- 3 Man in court accused of torching Ottery woman's car
- 4 Feezing license fee is sensible, but I didn't stand for dismantling BBC
- 5 Delays on Sidmouth road for Devon County Show
- 6 Preparations begin in earnest for Folk Festival
- 7 With your help, a range of new laws will help us all
- 8 Play abour real life leaves audience filled with feel good laughter
- 9 By-election result proves East Devon is not as 'true blue' as people thought
- 10 Heather Spratt - the unsung hero of the heathland
The concert will also feature Jane Williams on saxophone; tenor , John Burgoyne; Lyndon Webb, on saxophone and unaccompanied barbershop style singers Serendipity Octet.
Paul Roberts will be performing with Tia Wilkins, who plays the flute.
'Midsummer Melodies' will be held at the Sidholme Hotel on Friday, June 19.
The performance begins at 7.30pm and will finish at approximately 9.30pm. There will be an interval.
Tickets (�9) can be bought from 'Cards for all seasons' in The Market Place, Sidmouth on (01395) 514724.
Alternatively contact David Mason, of the Rotary Club of Sidmouth, on (01395) 516183.