Sidmouth Rotary fundraisng concert
A MIDSUMMER Melodies concert, in aid of the Rotary Club of Sidmouth s Polio Eradication project, will be held next week. The concert will feature several musicians including violinist Paul Roberts, who contracted polio as a youngster. Paul was born in S
A 'MIDSUMMER Melodies' concert, in aid of the Rotary Club of Sidmouth's Polio Eradication project, will be held next week.
The concert will feature several musicians including violinist Paul Roberts, who contracted polio as a youngster.
Paul was born in Sierra Leone and was only one when he was struck down with the illness.
He moved to England with his adopted missionary family when he was eight and that is when his love affair started with the violin.
A Rotary Club of Sidmouth spokesman said: "It was felt that, here in Sidmouth, we had an unusual opportunity to stage a musical event built around Paul Roberts.
"Having been struck down with this life-changing illness at such an early age, Paul is a living testament to courage, determination and the will to develop a latent talent despite his severe handicap."
- 1 'Some businesses may not survive Sidmouth roadworks'
- 2 Sidmouth Hospice at Home fulfils local man's final wish
- 3 Abolishing BBC licence fee is 'sparpling' from bigger issue
- 4 British Heart Foundation shop in Sidmouth urgently seeking volunteers
- 5 School steps up safety at road crossing areas
- 6 'Good news - a new restaurant in Sidmouth!'
- 7 Temperatures drop to -5C in Devon - but how's the weekend looking?
- 8 Members of South West drugs gang jailed for combined 40 years
- 9 Managing the woodland at the Knapp in Sidmouth
- 10 Careless charity shop donors cost Devon Air Ambulance money
The concert will also feature Jane Williams on saxophone; tenor , John Burgoyne; Lyndon Webb, on saxophone and unaccompanied barbershop style singers Serendipity Octet.
Paul Roberts will be performing with Tia Wilkins, who plays the flute.
'Midsummer Melodies' will be held at the Sidholme Hotel on Friday, June 19.
The performance begins at 7.30pm and will finish at approximately 9.30pm. There will be an interval.
Tickets (�9) can be bought from 'Cards for all seasons' in The Market Place, Sidmouth on (01395) 514724.
Alternatively contact David Mason, of the Rotary Club of Sidmouth, on (01395) 516183.