Sidmouth Rotary fundraisng concert
A MIDSUMMER Melodies concert, in aid of the Rotary Club of Sidmouth s Polio Eradication project, will be held next week. The concert will feature several musicians including violinist Paul Roberts, who contracted polio as a youngster. Paul was born in S
A 'MIDSUMMER Melodies' concert, in aid of the Rotary Club of Sidmouth's Polio Eradication project, will be held next week.
The concert will feature several musicians including violinist Paul Roberts, who contracted polio as a youngster.
Paul was born in Sierra Leone and was only one when he was struck down with the illness.
He moved to England with his adopted missionary family when he was eight and that is when his love affair started with the violin.
You may also want to watch:
A Rotary Club of Sidmouth spokesman said: "It was felt that, here in Sidmouth, we had an unusual opportunity to stage a musical event built around Paul Roberts.
"Having been struck down with this life-changing illness at such an early age, Paul is a living testament to courage, determination and the will to develop a latent talent despite his severe handicap."
- 1 The strangest possible score in rugby
- 2 Be prepared! Plan for uncertain months ahead
- 3 Sidmouth drug dealer spared immediate jail sentence
- 4 Illuminations by the sea start Christmas in Sidmouth
- 5 Inside story on pub kitchens provides food for thought
- 6 Archbishop of Canterbury to join Patteson celebrations
- 7 Sidmouth’s Antony Hall secures 2nd with 7+ hours of running
- 8 So much to enjoy on our doorstep... despite the crowds
- 9 Too much clutter on our pavements just a sign of the times
- 10 Stay positive and hope staycations are here to stay
The concert will also feature Jane Williams on saxophone; tenor , John Burgoyne; Lyndon Webb, on saxophone and unaccompanied barbershop style singers Serendipity Octet.
Paul Roberts will be performing with Tia Wilkins, who plays the flute.
'Midsummer Melodies' will be held at the Sidholme Hotel on Friday, June 19.
The performance begins at 7.30pm and will finish at approximately 9.30pm. There will be an interval.
Tickets (�9) can be bought from 'Cards for all seasons' in The Market Place, Sidmouth on (01395) 514724.
Alternatively contact David Mason, of the Rotary Club of Sidmouth, on (01395) 516183.