Sidmouth’s fundraising under-14s rugby team to tour in Toulouse
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters ready to pitch their skills against French counterparts
Young Sidmouth Rugby Club players are ‘thrilled’ to be embarking on an international tour after raising almost £8,000 for the opportunity.
The 18 youngsters will bid farewell to the seaside town in April when they head to Toulouse, in France, to pitch their skills against continental counterparts.
An exciting opportunity for the team of under-14s, the tour is the result of a nine-month fundraising mission where club members took part in a series of activities.
The money raised was then match-funded by Wales and West Utilities – bringing the total amount up to almost £8,000.
You may also want to watch:
Peter Marchant works for the company and has been involved with the club for many years as a player and volunteer. His son, Jack, now plays for the under-14s, so he put the request to his employer.
Peter said: “As a club, we want to give our youngsters the opportunity to experience a tour like this, but understand how hard it can be for families to commit to the funds. We decided last year that we’d try and raise money through a series of initiatives, but never in a million years did we think we’d raise so much – as you can imagine, we’re thrilled. Local people have been so generous in supporting our efforts and we are very grateful. On behalf of the club, I’d like to also thank Wales and West Utilities for their support in helping us reach, and exceed, our target.”
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 The more we work together the better it will be
- 7 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 8 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 9 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
- 10 Property of the Week: Ridgeway in Ottery St Mary
The team – accompanied by seven adults - will visit Toulouse from April 8 - 11, where they will play a number of matches against local sides and have the opportunity to experience one of the larger French regional games.