Sidmouth’s Inner Wheel Club celebrates 60th anniversary
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth’s ‘active and vibrant’ Inner Wheel group celebrated its diamond anniversary this week with a celebratory meal at the Victoria Hotel.
Some 91 women from clubs across the region attended the celebration last Tuesday to mark 60 years since the Sidmouth group’s formation in 1957.
District chairman Deidre Stewart also attended to present the club a certificate from Zena Coles, the national president of Inner Wheel.
Joyce Deary, from the Inner Wheel Club of Sidmouth, said: “Deidre remarked that since 1957 when women’s career choices were limited to not much more than marriage and family or shorthand typing - and that it was not usual for women to enter major sports events of any note. Much had changed, which was a matter for celebration.
“She congratulated Sidmouth on forming such an active and vibrant group when women were not much thought of despite their considerable contributions during the war.”
You may also want to watch:
President Hilary Hatherley thanked members and cut a special birthday cake, before presenting flowers to founder member Sheelagh Mitchelmore.
The group’s next event will be a coffee morning and sale in aid of the Admiral Nurse Campaign. The sale will take place in the Methodist Church Hall on Thursday, Match 30, between 10am and noon.
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 3 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 4 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 5 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 6 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 7 Stepping out for charity in honour of Sir Captain Tom's legacy
- 8 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
Visitors will be able to browse a range of stalls including cakes, bric-a-brac, books, jewellery, bags and scarves. Refreshments are available, admission is £1.