Sidmouth’s Old Boat Park transformed into sensory garden
- Credit: Archant
A Sidmouth space in need of ‘tender loving care’ has been given a makeover to create a sensory garden.
Sidmouth in Bloom was selected through a public vote to renovate the entrance beds of the Old Boat Park and its volunteers carried out the revamp last week.
Sidmouth’s Wyevale Garden Centre provided plants, equipment, volunteers and the team of experts to help turn the space into a ‘wildlife haven’. The space is for all to enjoy and the plants and shrubs have been chosen especially to assist people affected by dementia.
Cheryl Allen, from Sidmouth in Bloom, said: “It’s quite amazing that the town voted for Sidmouth in Bloom to have this make-over.
“It was such a vote of confidence to help make the town look beautiful and that the Wyevale Garden Centre offered to support the town in a project like this. It is a real testament to their commitment to Sidmouth.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s such a large area and it was so overgrown that we felt intimidated by the amount of money and work we would need to do it. We could not afford to put that amount of work in and keep everything going at the same time.”
Volunteers Mike and Jenny Tilley and Derek Price were also assisted by Mike Wale from MG Wale Landscapes Ltd to place plants and shrubs with a range of textures, fragrances and colours - which can help ease anxiety and agitation in people with dementia.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 8 Try tennis for FREE at Sidford Tennis Club
- 9 Local photographer captures the beauty of The Byes with his wildlife shots
- 10 Sidmouth in Bloom seating project full of civic pride
Newly-appointed garden centre manager Paul Marder said: “The team at the garden centre are all delighted to be able to offer their expertise and a helping hand in order to give something back to the residents of Sidmouth.
“Having recently joined as garden centre manager, I’ve enjoyed getting to know the community and working together to create a space we can all enjoy for years to come.”