Sidmouth’s only nightclub won’t become a Wetherspoons
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth’s only nightclub Carinas will not become a Wetherspoons, franchise bosses have said.
Following an announcement revealing the permanent closure of the venue on Thursday rumours arose that the popular pub chain was looking at buying the premises in Fore Street.
After being contacted by the Herald, a Wetherspoons spokesman said: “We can confirm that we are not looking at Carinas in Sidmouth to convert into a Wetherspoon pub.”
Following the shock closure, club owners Residential Trust Ltd unveiled plans which looked to turn the venue into an all-in-one restaurant and bar.
Carinas was originally closed at the end of January for a refurbishment that was set to last eight weeks. During this time, part of the premises was going to be converted into a bar and restaurant while the remaining section of the club, which was more than half the existing floorspace, was supposed to undergo much-needed improvements.
You may also want to watch:
Following the closure, Residential Trust Ltd’s director Chris Eccles said: “The reality is that there has been insufficient real support in the form of customers spending money on a regular basis in the club and the existing business model is not sustainable.”
He added that they would be immediately applying for planning permission to convert the rest of the building into a feature bar and restaurant and were looking forward to substantially upgrading the Dove Lane frontage which faces Market Place and re-instating part of the original glass domed winter garden roof.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 3 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 7 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 8 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 9 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 10 Lockdown has shown the importance of nature and the need for us to nurture each other