Sidmouth’s triathlon teacher goes extra mile
- Credit: Archant
A Sidmouth College teacher is racing over land and water to boost the fight against a genetic condition.
Ben Williams has signed up to the Exmoor Iron Man 70.3 – a 1.2-mile swim, a 56-mile bike ride and a 13.1-mile run – after being inspired by one of his students, who suffers from cystic fybrosis.
The 27-year-old has racked up almost 2,000 miles training for the event, which was the first of its kind.
“This is the furthest distance I have ever attempted and it may well be my last!” he said. “A girl in 9BW suffers with the condition and her courage has helped inspire me to take up the challenge.”
Ben added: “I’m hoping to complete it in under seven hours but would be ecstatic with six-and-a-half or less.”
You may also want to watch:
The PE teacher is running, cycling and swimming in the hope of raising £1,000 for the Cystic Fibrosis Trust.
To sponsor him, visit http://www.justgiving.com/Bwilliams70-3.
- 1 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 2 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 3 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 4 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 5 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 6 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 7 Ottery retirement community with Easter thank you for keyworkers
- 8 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 9 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
The triathlon is on Sunday (June 16).