Sidmouth Sailing Club enjoy successful Push the Boat Out event
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Sailing Club pushed the boat out at the weekend by offering taster sessions to the public.
The club held an open day in conjunction with the Royal Yachting Association for people to give sailing a go on Saturday.
Some 35 young people and adults headed out onto the water as part of the free sessions, watched on by spectators from the Esplanade. Alastair Watson Vice Commodore of the club, said an ‘army’ of 40 volunteers gave up their time to operate boats, provide safety cover and undertake beach duties to help the day run smoothly.
He said: “Across the country, the RYA is hoping to introduce around 30,000 people to sailing.
“The key aim for the day was to give visitors an opportunity to experience dinghy sailing, and in that respect, it was a great success.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve had a brilliant day and many of our guests have shown an interest in joining the club. I hope we’ve shown we have a vibrant and active family orientated club that contributes to Sidmouth’s strong nautical culture.”
Commodore, John Keast, added: “I’m thrilled at how well the day has gone and want to highlight the amount of work that went in to organising the day and to say a big thank you to all the club members who took part.”
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
- 4 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 7 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 8 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
- 9 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 10 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
The club is encouraging people to sign up for vacancies on the RYA course running over the weekends of June 3/4 and June 17/18,
For more information visit Sidmouth Sailing Club website at www.sidmouthsailing.org.uk.