Sidmouth scouts’ jumble success
Jumble raises �900 for new Sidmouth scout headquarters building fund
DETERMINED to fund raise money to build its new headquarters off Salcombe Hill, Sidmouth Scout Group raised �900 at a jumble sale in Woolbrook on Saturday.
Run by cub, scout and Explorer units of 1st Sid Vale Scouts, it was, said Rachael Hill: “the best turnout we have ever had.”
She said a wide range of jumble was donated by generous residents of Sidmouth and there were plenty of cakes on sale at St Francis Church hall, sold by the cubs.
Scouts and Explorers, with adult helpers, ran other stalls, which included books, clothes, shoes, children’s toys and videos/DVDs.
You may also want to watch:
Rachael said: “We were able to auction some more valuable items, such as a violin and a picture, that we sold for �40.
“As we are now raising money towards our new scout hut, events such as this are crucial and we hope to do even better next time.”
- 1 Sporting tribute to club stalwart from grateful members
- 2 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 3 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 4 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 5 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 6 Woman flown to hospital after fall
- 7 GP teams have seen 14% increase on pre-pandemic levels
- 8 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 9 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 10 High scoring in the Sidmouth Stablefords
Scout group chairman, Gareth Hughes, said the scouts need �200,000 towards the cost of the build and he hoped work on the new hut would start later this year.
The scouts’ next fund raising event is a shoeshine at Waitrose, Stowford Rise, from Tuesday, April 10 to Saturday, April 14, when they will be on hand to shine shoes for a donation.