Author talk with Helen Scales to feature in online Sea Fest
- Credit: Sidmouth Sea Fest
Though not taking place as a physical event, Sidmouth Sea Fest will be reconnecting online and at The Ham to bring to life this year’s theme - ‘Rockpools, Reefs and Reconnecting’.
Sidmouth Sea Fest 2021 would have taken place on Saturday, May 22, on the Ham – instead on that day organisers Sidmouth Coastal Community Hub (SCCH) will be:
Installing a temporary art exhibition produced by Sidmouth School children in the community garden border area next to the Ham
Sharing stories from SCCH’s new venue The Fishermen’s Shed with storyteller Janet Dowling
Posting a zoom performance of Coral Reef Song from Sidmouth Sea Fest Community Choir
Hosting a live online author talk – in conversation with Helen Scales, author of The Brilliant Abyss. 7pm till 8pm via zoom
Louise Cole, director of Sidmouth Coastal Community Hub, said: “The theme reflects our mission to reconnect people to value the coast and sea now and in the future, and to celebrate as a community our amazing coastal location with all the gifts it brings us.
- 1 It's all power to the pedestrian... and we must embrace change
- 2 Air ambulance attends beach fall incident in Sidmouth
- 3 Ottery woman's home 'cuckooed' by County Lines drug gang
- 4 How Devon's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 5 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 6 What are the chances of a white Christmas in Devon?
- 7 Property of the Week: The Square, Branscombe
- 8 November runs in the Sun for Sidmouth Running Club
- 9 Sidmouth to get state of the art hearing treatment
- 10 Students carry on Christmas tradition by taking tree through town
“In the face of such extraordinary challenging times we are committed to doing what we can to bring a smile, have a bit of fun and to involve people in what we do.
“As part of the event, we are very excited to be able to present an online in-conversation event with Dr Helen Scales who will be talking about her new book The Brilliant Abyss.”
Coco Hodgkinson, SCCH Artistic Director added: “It is such a coup to be welcoming an author of Helen’s calibre and reputation to Sidmouth – The Brilliant Abyss is fascinating and humbling at the same time.
“Anyone with any interest in saving our seas and in understanding the planet will be enthralled.”
Author Helen Scales said “Humanity's connections with the ocean run deep, seeping into places most of us will never see for ourselves, but where great wonders lie that breathe life into the whole planet.”
This event is a collaboration with Winstone Books, Sidmouth.
To attend the live online author talk, visit https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/sidmouth-sea-fest-2021-author-talk-with-helen-scales-the-brilliant-abyss-tickets-153679143455