Sidmouth set for buns bonanza
- Credit: Archant
Dedicated volunteers have been working hard to ensure that an endearing Sidmouth tradition continues to thrive this Easter.
The annual ceremony of distributing hot cross buns, Easter eggs and tasty goodies to local children up to the age of 12 will take place at the Bedford Lawn car park on Good Friday (April 18), from 9am to 10am, or, if wet, in the St John Ambulance Hall in Blackmore Drive.
This treat for the children began a century ago and is eagerly anticipated.
The honour of performing the opening ceremony for this ‘bun and fun bonanza’ goes to prominent local baker Martin Kerridge, who has been supplying the traditional buns and sausage rolls for the organising committee members for more than 30 years, while Sidmouth Town Band will be adding to the animated scene with some tuneful interludes.
The continuing success of this colourful event is a source of great satisfaction to committee president Mike Wood and secretary Tony Perram, both of whom have been actively involved for more than three decades.
You may also want to watch:
“On behalf of the committee, I would like to thank all who have contributed to fundraising through the collecting boxes or who have supported us in any way,” Mr Perram told the Herald.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 8 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 9 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman