Sidmouth shops and residents crank up the gears for Tour of Britain
- Credit: Archant
Residents and organisations in Sidmouth have been gearing up for the arrival of the world’s top cycling stars with a series of community events.
Sid Valley Cycling Club has held a number of bike rides around the valley in the run-up to today’s (Friday) Tour of Britain race.
Members also teamed up with British Cycling and Sidmouth Town Council to organise a criterium race yesterday.
Cyclists of all ages raced around a 1.3km circuit in the town centre. The route was used in 2013 when Sidmouth hosted the tour three years ago.
Sidmouth Chamber of Commerce organised a Tour of Britain window competition, which has received 18 entries.
You may also want to watch:
Among the windows, Fields decorated its window with a penny-farthing donated to the store by Tom Griffiths. The WESC Foundation, Hopsiscare, Roly’s Fudge Pantry and Humbug have also tailored their displays to welcome the tour.
A team of judges inspected the entries last night and will present the winner of the competition with a signed cycling jersey.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 3 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 9 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 10 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
Mel Gater, chairman of the chamber of commerce, said: “We are thrilled there has been such a great interest for such an important event adding to the list of tourism events in the valley. We are really lucky to have yet another event that is so widely supported and known by all.”
See next week’s paper for our coverage of the criterium races and the Tour of Britain.