Sidmouth shops open late this evening for festive season
- Credit: Archant
Late-night shopping returns to Sidmouth this evening (Friday) with festivities planned across the town.
Mel Gater, who chairs the chamber of commerce, said: “Our Christmas late-night extravaganza is a fantastic opportunity for everyone to enjoy a festive shopping experience. Shoppers to Sidmouth will enjoy the Christmas buzz and abundance of gift choices, as well as a great variety of street entertainment all around the town, to make it an extra special evening!”
The evening is being kicked off in Market Place at 5pm with a DJ, Only After Dark, spinning records until 8pm.
At 5.15pm, JM Dancefit will get everyone into the festive swing with a zumba session.
Then, at 6pm, Sidmouth Primary School pupils will be singing carols in Market Place and, again, in the parish church at 7pm. The school will also have a display of cribs and nativity scenes in St Teresa’s Hall, from 6pm, and the opportunity to light a candle and remember the true meaning of Christmas.
You may also want to watch:
The Lions Club of Sidmouth is bringing Father Christmas on his sleigh to greet children opposite the Anchor Inn, from 6.15pm.
There will also be street entertainment around the town during the evening, including Sid Vale Folk, Sidmouth Town Band, Sidmouth Steppers, the Rock Choir, a donkey from the Donkey Sanctuary, Professor Bumble and lots more.
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 3 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 4 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 5 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 6 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 7 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 8 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 9 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 10 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
Sidmouth Museum will be open from 1pm to 8pm, with a selection of gifts, and is hosting the launch of Sidmouth’s Lace by Carol McFadzean.
The author will be signing copies of the new Sid Vale Association publication between 2.30pm and 3.30pm, and again, from 6pm to 7pm.
Willow Photographic Studio is having its grand opening this evening – a celebration of its move on the High Street after a decade, with festive drinks.
The weekly market in Kennaway House is extending its hours, opening from 10am to 9pm, and offering free mince pies and mulled wine.
And late-night shopping does not end tonight. Phil Weaver has declared Sidmouth ‘open for Christmas’ – a campaign to build on tonight’s momentum by opening into the evening for the next three Thursdays.
The event is free to attend and will run from 5pm into the evening.
Visit sidmouthchamber.co.uk for more information.