Sidmouth slimmers raise £5,200 through clothes donations
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth slimmers are reaping the rewards of their weight loss by donating £5,200 worth of unwanted clothes to Cancer Research UK.
The town’s Slimming World groups filled up 208 bags to give to the charity – more than doubling its total from last year.
Consultant Jon Borowik said members seized the chance to beat last year’s target of 92 by bringing in their unwanted clothes over the past fortnight.
One group member donated nine bags of clothes after losing two stone this year.
Jon said: “It’s amazing, we were not expecting that. Our aim was to get over 100 bags but they kept coming in. I’m extremely proud, we aimed for 100 bags and they did that in the first week and they kept adding, so we thought could we get to 150? Can we double it? Can we get to 200?”
You may also want to watch:
Each bag raised £25 for the charity with additional 29pence if the donor selected gift aid.
Sarah Batt, manager of the Sidmouth Cancer Research shop, said she has had to find more space due to the donations.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 4 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 7 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
She added: “It was quite amazing the amount of bags they donated. We were running low on donations and it happened at just the right time.”