Sidmouth Slimming World members walk 10million steps for Cancer Research
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth slimmers walked 10 million steps in August to raise money for Cancer Research UK.
Members attending the town’s Slimming World groups joined forces as part of the charity’s Walk All Over Cancer campaign.
They encouraged friends and family to sponsor them to increase their step count across the month, resulting
in the group netting £220 for the cause.
As well as fundraising, the group aimed to raise awareness of how keeping healthy can reduce the risk of developing 13 types of cancer.
You may also want to watch:
To mark the achievement, members took part in a four-kilometre celebration walk through The Byes, led by consultants Jon Borowik and Harriet Steptoe.
Harriet said: “I’m so proud of all of my members, who set themselves the challenge of walking more this August and absolutely smashed it.
- 1 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 2 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 3 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 4 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 5 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 6 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 7 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 8 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 9 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 10 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
“At Slimming World, we
help our members find enjoyable ways of getting more active and encourage them to increase their activity levels step-by-step, until it becomes part of their daily routine.”