Sidmouth smokers get fire warning

PUBLISHED: 17:26 11 March 2009 | UPDATED: 08:43 18 June 2010

SIDMOUTH smokers were given another reason to kick their habit this week.

SIDMOUTH smokers were given another reason to kick their habit this week.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service marked a No Smoking Day on Wednesday by warning residents that smoking related blazes are the biggest killers in accidental home fires.

A service spokesperson said: "statistics reveal that from April 2008 to February 2009 there were 12 casualties across Devon and Somerset in accidental house fires started by cigarettes or smoking materials."

"The best way to reduce your risk is to give up. However, for smokers finding it tough to kick the habit the advice from the fire service is to be cautious when smoking at home and to 'put it out, right out' after finishing a cigarette."

Anybody in doubt over the safety of their home can apply for a free safety visit by calling 0800 7311822. For further information on fire safety visit

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sidmouth Herald. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Sidmouth Herald