Sidmouth Steppers meet Olympic star
SIDMOUTH Steppers members gave an Olympic athlete and international women’s footballer a few dance tips when they met her while on a trip to Swanage Folk Festival.
USA soccer star Heather Mitts got a lesson in ladies’ clog dance and even had a go herself.
Heather bumped into the steppers while filming a promotional video for the USA Olympic team around Britain earlier this month.
“I think the filming crew noticed us because our team colours - red, white and blue, are the same as the USA Olympic team colours,” said stepper Sue King.
“They really liked our dancing. Our squire, Liz, enjoyed teaching Heather how to dance in our traditional folk clog style, and Heather joined in a group dance with us. She loved it!”
You may also want to watch:
The steppers regularly dance as an invited side - representing Sidmouth - at folk festivals, including Swanage, Wimborne and also the Devon County Show every year.
Members are proud to wave the flag - and stomp the clog - for their home town and raise money for local charities at the same time.
- 1 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 2 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 3 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 4 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 5 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 6 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 7 'Going out on a high' - food festival chairman hands over the reins after this year's successful event
- 8 'Dream team' shed more light on plans for Connaught's Christmas illuminations
- 9 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 10 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon