Sidmouth Steppers meet Olympic star
SIDMOUTH Steppers members gave an Olympic athlete and international women’s footballer a few dance tips when they met her while on a trip to Swanage Folk Festival.
USA soccer star Heather Mitts got a lesson in ladies’ clog dance and even had a go herself.
Heather bumped into the steppers while filming a promotional video for the USA Olympic team around Britain earlier this month.
“I think the filming crew noticed us because our team colours - red, white and blue, are the same as the USA Olympic team colours,” said stepper Sue King.
“They really liked our dancing. Our squire, Liz, enjoyed teaching Heather how to dance in our traditional folk clog style, and Heather joined in a group dance with us. She loved it!”
You may also want to watch:
The steppers regularly dance as an invited side - representing Sidmouth - at folk festivals, including Swanage, Wimborne and also the Devon County Show every year.
Members are proud to wave the flag - and stomp the clog - for their home town and raise money for local charities at the same time.
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 3 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 4 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 5 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 6 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 7 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 8 Country owes a 'great debt' to The Duke of Edinburgh
- 9 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 10 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open