Sidmouth store calls for help from scouts
Sidmouth scouts stocked up on camp supplies at Waitrose after being awarded vouchers in exchange for helping shoppers to park.
A GROUP of Sidmouth scouts stocked up on supplies for their May camp at Waitrose recently after they were given vouchers in exchange for helping its shoppers to park.
During Sidmouth’s snowy spell, Explorer Scouts helped find parking spaces for store customers after Alex Hill, department manager, called Brian Manwaring, group scout leader, to see how the scouts might help the store.
This led to the Explorers, the senior group in the movement, running the car park operation and clearing paths for three days, under the direction of leader Rob Bradford.
Sidmouth scout chairman, Gareth Hughes said: “Initially the explorers attended to help customers carry their shopping to their cars but they were quick to help in many ways and were able to take over the running of the car park and helping customers find parking spaces.”
You may also want to watch:
Checkout manager Simon Perry said: “The scouts were a wonderful help during a difficult period and the customers were full of praise.”
Mr Hill, added: “The help given by the Explorers was very much appreciated and I am delighted to donate gift vouchers to the group.”
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 4 Woman flown to hospital after fall
- 5 GP teams have seen 14% increase on pre-pandemic levels
- 6 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 7 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 8 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 9 Major road repair scheme will reduce patching
- 10 Pianist set to delight audiences in 50th anniversary season
Chief Scout Bear Grylls will attend the Explorers’ camp in May.
Mr Manwaring said: “The Scout Group in Sidmouth is growing in numbers, which is fantastic and we have a very strong and active mixed Explorer section. With Rob as their leader it had grown in strength and numbers.”
*If you would like to join Explorers contact Brian on (01395) 515425. He is also keen to hear from volunteers able to support Rob.