Sidmouth student’s crowd-funding appeal for short film
- Credit: Archant
An ice cream-making student and her team are halfway to their £3,000 crowd-funding target to make a film about a marooned pirate.
Sophie Christopherson, 21, is preparing for her biggest challenge yet – producing a 10-minute movie for her final year at Falmouth University.
Black Island is an ambitious period piece that looks at the effect of extreme isolation through the eyes of a pirate marooned on an island.
Sophie, who is from Ottery St Mary and works at Taste of Sidmouth in her university holidays, said: “Filmmaking is something I’ve always been interested in. For as long as I can recall, my family and I have sat down and watched a film or TV programme every evening and I think this is something that has deeply influenced my passion for film – there are so many films that I’ve watched and thought about for so long afterwards.
“Working on a film that requires financial backing is the biggest challenge I’ve met thus far, but it’s all worth it for something I’m extremely passionate about, and it’s a small taste of what’s to come in the future.
You may also want to watch:
“The majority of the funds will be going towards cast and props, but the film is facing a challenge – set in the 18th century, it is key that we create a setting that lacks any signs of modernity.
“Because of this, we need to purchase specialist props, all of which need to fit the theme.”
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 4 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 7 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
The film is being shot on location at Porthcurno beach in Cornwall. The students’ influences include Castaway, Papillon and Under the Skin.
After she graduates in July, Sophie is hoping to return to her birthplace of Denmark to do a masters degree in film and television.
To support the fundraiser, visit www.crowdfunder.co.uk/black-island