Sidmouth tax scam warning
A SIDMOUTH man is warning people with e-mail accounts to beware of a tax scam. Dick Sidwell, 80, received an e-mail claiming to be sent from the Tax Credit Office Agent at HM Revenue & Customs based in Preston. It stated: After the last annual calculatio
A SIDMOUTH man is warning people with e-mail accounts to beware of a tax scam.
Dick Sidwell, 80, received an e-mail claiming to be sent from the Tax Credit Office Agent at HM Revenue & Customs based in Preston.
It stated: "After the last annual calculation of your fiscal activity we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax refund of �284.23 GBP."
It goes on to give a tax refund number and asks for the attached payment form to be sent back.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Sidwell, of Roselands, said: "I realised it was a scam straight away but it does look quite genuine.
"I wanted to warn other people in case they think it is real."
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 3 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 4 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 5 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 6 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 7 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 8 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 9 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
Bob Gaiger, of HMRC South West, said this particular scam e-mail is well known: "We never e-mail people with details of tax rebates particularly if you are asking for bank account details."
Mr Gaiger advised people, if they received an e-mail they believe to be a scam, to report it to HMRC at www.hmrc.gov.uk. Information about scams which have already been reported to HMRC also appear on the website.
* Another common scam doing the rounds is the BT phone con, where cold-callers demand bill payments and threaten to cut people off. Sidmouth Police has received another report in recent weeks, in which over �200 was taken from a resident's bank account.