Sidmouth teen offered coveted spot in top music school
- Credit: Archant
A young percussionist from Sidmouth has been given a new platform to achieve his dreams after landing a prestigious scholarship at a top music school.
Sixteen-year-old Jerome Blackburn had to compete with 600 other budding musicans for the renowned specialist music place at Wells Cathedral School in Somerset.
The music school submitted the offer – one of just four available – to the teenager after he performed well through a series of musical tests and interviews for the coveted spot.
Wells will develop Jerome musically, alongside an academic education, and prepare him for the rigours of a high-level musical career.
Jerome said: “I am thrilled and excited to be joining Wells.
You may also want to watch:
“It is a fantastic place to study music and will support me to achieve my ambition of becoming a world-class percussionist.”
Jerome starting learning how to drum when he was ten and acquired his first xylophone when he was 13.
- 1 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 2 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 3 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 4 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 5 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 6 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 7 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 8 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 9 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 10 Two superb centuries in Sidbury victory
His love of percussion developed from there and, at the age of 15, he passed his Grade 8 Drum Kit and Grade 8 Orchestral Percussion exams with distinction.
However, before he enrols in the school in September, Jerome has a busy summer ahead of him as he will be performing with some top musical groups across the UK.
He will be showcasing his musical talents with several orchestras, including the Bournemouth Philharmonic, Sam Newgarth Light and Exeter Cathedral.
For more, check out his Facebook page – Jerome Blackburn Percussion.