Sidmouth teen's hopes for Miss Student UK crown delayed
A WOOLBROOK teenager s hopes of being named Miss Student UK this month have been temporarily credit-crunched after organisers of the competition were forced to delay its grand final.
A WOOLBROOK teenager's hopes of being named Miss Student UK this month have been temporarily credit-crunched after organisers of the competition were forced to delay its grand final.
Summerfield resident, Catherine Wilkinson, 19, received bittersweet news this week when after finding out she had reached the very last stage of the competition, its glitzy finale was postponed until September due "the current economic situation" forcing a main sponsor to pulling the plug on its involvement.
The news will signal double disappointment as Catherine's twin Samantha, who has backed her sister throughout the competition- often sporting a who sported a T-shirt
displaying press cuttings and signatures of support along with the slogan "My twin
You may also want to watch:
to win", was due to be her 'VIP' special guest at the final.
Catherine, a former student at the King's School in Ottery St Mary who is now studying fashion, brand promotion and journalism at the University of Central Lancashire in Preston, said: "I'm disappointed as I was just starting to get ready for the final and had been shopping for different outfits. Luckily I've not bought anything yet.
- 1 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 2 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 3 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 4 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
- 5 Manor Pavilion reopens with festival of summer plays
- 6 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 7 Supermarket makes a super gesture to help community food charity
- 8 Sidmouth charity shop needs your donations!
- 9 Batty fun activities for all at donkey sanctuary
- 10 Important not to let celebrations get out of hand
"In a way I'm glad it will be held in September as I will be back at university then and more of my friends will be able to come- I'm guaranteed a place in the very last round and am still as excited about it as ever."
The Miss Student UK competition, which emphasises a "more than just a pretty face" ethos, tests students' intellect, creativity and determination through a series of online tasks, voting polls and live heats.