Sidmouth teen's hopes for Miss Student UK crown delayed
A WOOLBROOK teenager s hopes of being named Miss Student UK this month have been temporarily credit-crunched after organisers of the competition were forced to delay its grand final.
A WOOLBROOK teenager's hopes of being named Miss Student UK this month have been temporarily credit-crunched after organisers of the competition were forced to delay its grand final.
Summerfield resident, Catherine Wilkinson, 19, received bittersweet news this week when after finding out she had reached the very last stage of the competition, its glitzy finale was postponed until September due "the current economic situation" forcing a main sponsor to pulling the plug on its involvement.
The news will signal double disappointment as Catherine's twin Samantha, who has backed her sister throughout the competition- often sporting a who sported a T-shirt
displaying press cuttings and signatures of support along with the slogan "My twin
You may also want to watch:
to win", was due to be her 'VIP' special guest at the final.
Catherine, a former student at the King's School in Ottery St Mary who is now studying fashion, brand promotion and journalism at the University of Central Lancashire in Preston, said: "I'm disappointed as I was just starting to get ready for the final and had been shopping for different outfits. Luckily I've not bought anything yet.
- 1 Safety, security and sustainability at Sidmouth Town
- 2 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 3 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
- 4 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 5 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 6 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 7 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 8 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 9 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 10 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
"In a way I'm glad it will be held in September as I will be back at university then and more of my friends will be able to come- I'm guaranteed a place in the very last round and am still as excited about it as ever."
The Miss Student UK competition, which emphasises a "more than just a pretty face" ethos, tests students' intellect, creativity and determination through a series of online tasks, voting polls and live heats.