Sidmouth teen's Miss Student UK bid put on hold
A WOOLBROOK teenager s hopes of being named Miss Student UK this month have been temporarily credit-crunched after organisers of the competition were forced to delay its grand final.
A WOOLBROOK teenager's hopes of being named Miss Student UK this month have been temporarily credit-crunched after organisers of the competition were forced to delay its grand final.
Summerfield resident, Catherine Wilkinson, 19, received bittersweet news this week when after finding out she had reached the very last stage of the competition, its glitzy finale was postponed until September due "the current economic situation" forcing a main sponsor to pulling the plug on its involvement.
The news will signal double disappointment as Catherine's twin Samantha, who has backed her sister throughout the competition- often sporting a who sported a T-shirt
displaying press cuttings and signatures of support along with the slogan "My twin
You may also want to watch:
to win", was due to be her 'VIP' special guest at the final.
Catherine, a former student at the King's School in Ottery St Mary who is now studying fashion, brand promotion and journalism at the University of Central Lancashire in Preston, said: "I'm disappointed as I was just starting to get ready for the final and had been shopping for different outfits. Luckily I've not bought anything yet.
- 1 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 2 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 3 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 4 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 5 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 6 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 7 Youngsters invited to join in Fairtrade Fortnight competition
- 8 Rugby on a rollercoaster of disruption
- 9 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 10 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
"In a way I'm glad it will be held in September as I will be back at university then and more of my friends will be able to come- I'm guaranteed a place in the very last round and am still as excited about it as ever."
The Miss Student UK competition, which emphasises a "more than just a pretty face" ethos, tests students' intellect, creativity and determination through a series of online tasks, voting polls and live heats.