Sidmouth teen's Miss Student UK bid put on hold
A WOOLBROOK teenager s hopes of being named Miss Student UK this month have been temporarily credit-crunched after organisers of the competition were forced to delay its grand final.
A WOOLBROOK teenager's hopes of being named Miss Student UK this month have been temporarily credit-crunched after organisers of the competition were forced to delay its grand final.
Summerfield resident, Catherine Wilkinson, 19, received bittersweet news this week when after finding out she had reached the very last stage of the competition, its glitzy finale was postponed until September due "the current economic situation" forcing a main sponsor to pulling the plug on its involvement.
The news will signal double disappointment as Catherine's twin Samantha, who has backed her sister throughout the competition- often sporting a who sported a T-shirt
displaying press cuttings and signatures of support along with the slogan "My twin
You may also want to watch:
to win", was due to be her 'VIP' special guest at the final.
Catherine, a former student at the King's School in Ottery St Mary who is now studying fashion, brand promotion and journalism at the University of Central Lancashire in Preston, said: "I'm disappointed as I was just starting to get ready for the final and had been shopping for different outfits. Luckily I've not bought anything yet.
- 1 Town's garden competition effort judged
- 2 Church hosts first wedding since before lockdown
- 3 East Devon's first zero-emission hire car now on the road
- 4 Wars of the Roses and end of the medieval era
- 5 A tale of two cities made more accessible by air
- 6 Urgent action sought to improve Four Elms Hill road safety
- 7 Plea for collectors to support town's air show
- 8 Official accreditation for Sidmouth Vikings
- 9 Joseph's year of 100 half marathons to support refugees
- 10 Art society gear up for return of exhibition
"In a way I'm glad it will be held in September as I will be back at university then and more of my friends will be able to come- I'm guaranteed a place in the very last round and am still as excited about it as ever."
The Miss Student UK competition, which emphasises a "more than just a pretty face" ethos, tests students' intellect, creativity and determination through a series of online tasks, voting polls and live heats.