Sidmouth teenager secures nomination in Active Devon Sports Award
- Credit: Archant
A Sidmouth teenager has been recognised for his volunteering work in a county wide competition.
Oliver Moore-Jones was put forward by staff at Bicton College in the Active Devon 2016 Sports Award, as a contender for Young Volunteer of the Year.
The 17-year-old offers his time to support the college’s foundation learners while studying for a level two BTEC Diploma in the public services and military academy.
Oliver, who is in his first year at Bicton College, said: “When Sadie [Moran, sport maker at the college] told me I’d been nominated for an award for my volunteering I was over the moon and really surprised.
“It’s fantastic to be recognised for my voluntary work. I really enjoy doing it and am happy to be part of something bigger and to help other students achieve their dreams.”
You may also want to watch:
Oliver has been nominated alongside fellow student Nathaniel Bayet.
Sadie Moran, sport maker at Bicton College said: ‘It was an honour to put Oliver and Nathaniel forward for an Active Devon 2016 Sports Award. They have both demonstrated a real dedication to the college’s sporting activities and have been reliable, helpful and acted with professionalism.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 5 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 6 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 7 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 8 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
“Their efforts have directly benefitted the college and their fellow students and we hope that their nominations go some of the way to celebrate this. We are rooting for them to go through to the final stage.”
The awards will be announced on Friday, May 13, at Sandy Park.