Sidmouth theatre gets gates after shoppers use car park
- Credit: Archant
Gates will be erected at the Manor Pavilion after complaints visitors to Sidmouth are using its facilities as a free car park.
East Devon District Council (EDDC), which manages the theatre, is taking action to ‘deter people from parking in the car park if they have no right to be there’.
It said the spaces are for visitors to the Sidmouth arts centre only, and is arranging to fix gates at the entrances with signs clearly stating that, with a list of times it will be locked.
There have been complaints from people attending classes and events during the day at the Manor Pavilion about having to find an alternative place to park, which has prompted this action by the council.
A spokesman for EDDC said: “The increasing popularity of the Manor Pavilion Theatre and Arts Centre as a leisure venue has resulted in more pressure on the car park.
You may also want to watch:
“This in turn has highlighted the fact that some members of the public have been wrongly using it as a general parking area.”
The new gates have been ordered, and are expected to be fitted at the site in Manor Road in the near future.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 3 Vision Group awards recognise 'champions' who helped Sidmouth pull through lockdown
- 4 Property of the Week: Fortfield Terrace, Sidmouth
- 5 New £14m Sidmouth Beach Management Plan takes major step forward
- 6 Former Sidmouth student campaigns to save Afghan friends from Taliban regime
- 7 New plan to build East Devon back better after the pandemic
- 8 Wednesday's Budget and how it might help those struggling in Devon this winter
- 9 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 10 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses