Sidmouth theatre gets gates after shoppers use car park
- Credit: Archant
Gates will be erected at the Manor Pavilion after complaints visitors to Sidmouth are using its facilities as a free car park.
East Devon District Council (EDDC), which manages the theatre, is taking action to ‘deter people from parking in the car park if they have no right to be there’.
It said the spaces are for visitors to the Sidmouth arts centre only, and is arranging to fix gates at the entrances with signs clearly stating that, with a list of times it will be locked.
There have been complaints from people attending classes and events during the day at the Manor Pavilion about having to find an alternative place to park, which has prompted this action by the council.
A spokesman for EDDC said: “The increasing popularity of the Manor Pavilion Theatre and Arts Centre as a leisure venue has resulted in more pressure on the car park.
You may also want to watch:
“This in turn has highlighted the fact that some members of the public have been wrongly using it as a general parking area.”
The new gates have been ordered, and are expected to be fitted at the site in Manor Road in the near future.
- 1 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 2 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 3 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 8 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 9 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 10 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat