Sidmouth theatre gets gates after shoppers use car park
- Credit: Archant
Gates will be erected at the Manor Pavilion after complaints visitors to Sidmouth are using its facilities as a free car park.
East Devon District Council (EDDC), which manages the theatre, is taking action to ‘deter people from parking in the car park if they have no right to be there’.
It said the spaces are for visitors to the Sidmouth arts centre only, and is arranging to fix gates at the entrances with signs clearly stating that, with a list of times it will be locked.
There have been complaints from people attending classes and events during the day at the Manor Pavilion about having to find an alternative place to park, which has prompted this action by the council.
A spokesman for EDDC said: “The increasing popularity of the Manor Pavilion Theatre and Arts Centre as a leisure venue has resulted in more pressure on the car park.
You may also want to watch:
“This in turn has highlighted the fact that some members of the public have been wrongly using it as a general parking area.”
The new gates have been ordered, and are expected to be fitted at the site in Manor Road in the near future.
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 6 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 7 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 10 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal